Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Poor Showing

I began painting this lovely Reaper figure as a shadow to use in my LOTR games in 2008? That was when I took up the painting hobby again from a 18 year hiatus. And let me tell you I had forgot so much during those years I allowed my skills to degenerate. I had begun painting miniatures in high school with Grenadier figures for AD & D; they were so primitive compared to today's standard, continued on with Warhammer figures through college and beyond. Then for various reasons I stopped. Look at this poor excuse of a paint job couldn't even do black properly! My converted orcs are no better as you can see in these photos.
The only thing I managed to do years ago was base all my LOTR figures on magnetic bases. As you can see with this Christmas biscuit tin of orcs.
Fortunately I began painting again last year with much better results and new techniques as can be see on my other blog http://fiendsinwaistcoats.blogspot.com/

I'm still actively posting on fiends in Waistcoats but I've wanted to revive my long over due LOTR project which I will Chronicle here every Sunday. So expect a new post here every Sunday. I hope to have the repainted Reaper Shadow finished next week. Here is a preview of the new painting.





8 comments:

  1. In fairness Robert the technology of the hobby has come on massively. I dare say youdidn't have access to some of the excellent dips and washes that are available now, not to mention the internet as a source of inspiration and guidance. there's a wealth of info on techniques available at the cl ick of a button through YouTube and things like that now.
    I do like your reaper figure. I got into LoTR purely because I love the films and that fits both the film imagery and also the classic Tolkien style.
    My first game this weds in ages so I've to paint up my hobbits for it. there's nothing like a good deadline to get you motivated. You'll have to get some AAR's up with your figs as they're done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had art training when I was young which used to apply to miniature painting mixing colors and using chalks (that's what modern weathering powders are ground artists chalk) but when i began painting again i didn't use this knowledge. That's what upset me.

      The Reaper figure illustrated the Shadows that kidnapped the elves in the first age.

      Delete
  2. I am sure those orcs can come up good with a wash and dry brush and a little TLC...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they will. You may have notice that they have all be subtly converted.

      Delete
  3. They're nicely animated figures. I have found that the first metal figures I did (Darkest Africa in 1999) are terrible and I have been slowly re-doing them. These figures are nice enough to have a go at a renovation project!

    http://returntodarkestafrica.blogspot.co.uk/2007/06/princess-makeover.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no need to worry the Legatus I've begun making my own washes again last year so these figures will get a appropriate make over.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to the repaints. I'm too ashamed of my early paint jobs to be as brave as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bacon I'm trying to remain brave.

    ReplyDelete